Have you lost the key? Standing in front of the door and wondering which drill bit can be the lifesaver now? Basically, when it comes to drilling out locks, you should use an HSS drill bit with an angle of 118 °. So, we have come up with the 5 best drill bits for drilling out locks that won’t require professionals to complete the drilling project successfully.
DIYers Pick: 5 Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
High: Speed Steel,
Tool Flute Type:
Spiral String Cutting Angle – 135 Degrees
5.2 x 3.03 x 0.91 inches
|IRWIN Drill Bit Set
|Brand: Irwin Tools
Shank Type: Straight
Tool Flute Type: Spiral
6.8 x 4.5 x 0.8 inches
|VSILE Extractor Set
High-speed alloy steel
6 pieces of remover set
3.54 x 2.36 x 0.71 inches
Material type: Cobalt
Style: Left Hand Bit
Finish Type: Steel
Shank Type: Threaded
Tool Flute Type: Spiral
5.67 x 4.49 x 0.79 inches
|Brand: Screw X-Tractor
3.43 x 2.44 x 0.7 inches
We can guarantee that all the products we are going to mention will be the best drill bits options for you to unlock any door or key-lock.
There are countless ways to bypass the locked door. Other than that, just look at our recommendations, as we have picked some excellent power tools after a long research period. However, we believe these drill bits will effortlessly help you unlock the door.
Top Drill Bit
TOOLUXE 10055L: Best Drill Bit for Drilling Out Locks
- The hex drill bit is set with metal bits that are titanium-coated bits roller-forged from high-speed steel and sufficiently strong during drill presses.
- Drill bits for impact drills are roller-forged with sharpened edges to enable fast entry and endurance appropriate for repairing vehicles, commercial applications, and construction use.
- This is a quick-change kit that allows you to replace 1/4″ drill bits with hex shank fits within both hex sleeves and impacts that resemble rapid-release chucks for use in drilling steel, wood, plastic, and aluminum alloy.
- The quick bit for impact drivers readily locks into hex sleeves and quick-release chucks.
- With a rapid-change adaptor, you can use 30 different drill bit sizes.
- Brand: Tooluxe
- Material: High-Speed Steel, alloy steel
- Finish Type: Titanium
- Shank Type: Hex
- Tool Flute Type: Spiral
- String Cutting Angle – 135 Degrees
- Dimensions: 5.2 x 3.03 x 0.91 inches
- Customer Review: 4.1 stars out of 5
Drill bits are lifesavers when you have trouble with locks. For example, you have a meeting at 10 am and suddenly you notice the key lock just locked you inside the home, but you need to unlock it as you have 30 minutes left. You’re searching for the drill bits for locks, but the older one has become dull. What should you do now? Such a horrible situation it is!
Well, if you have never wanted to be stuck in such a situation, you can take a look at our first pick of a drill bit, which is the TOOLUXE Drill Bit with thirty pieces and available sizes. This drill bit set contains a 1/4″ hex shank for modifications and is roller-forged as well as having sharpened edges.
Every ideal bit should be made of high-speed steel, which you’ll find in this tool along with a titanium coating. Additionally, the 135-degree split point tip and twist design of the blow-molded casing will make the drilling job much easier.
- As the product has HSS construction, it is ideal for jobs in different fields and is neatly organized. You’ll appreciate the sharpness, replacement, and overall performance. Each bit has a 1/4″ hex shank for a solid fit in any power drill or driver. There are 30 different sizes available, so you can work with any hole size.
- We discovered some clients are not happy with the sheerness and durability of the product. And parts crimped into shafts are not secure, so they spin in the shaft. But it’s not a big issue.
IRWIN: Drill Bit Set for Drilling Out Locks
- IRWIN drill bit is developed to remove locks, faulty bolts, studs, socket screws, or any type of fitting.
- As resistance increases, easily formed spiral flutes attach themselves to enhance gripping.
- Every tool has the extractor size and appropriate drill bit number imprinted on it.
- The set comprises extractors sizes EX-1 to EX-5, as well as drill bits sizes 5/64,” 7/64,” 5/32,” 1/4,” and 19/64,” and a metal index case to keep the tools safe after use.
- Brand: Irwin Tools
- Size: 10-Piece
- Material Type: High-Speed Steel
- Shank Type: Straight
- Tool Flute Type: Spiral
- Size: 10-Piece
- Dimensions: 6.8 x 4.5 x 0.8 inches
- Customer Review: 4.5 stars out of 5.
Tired of using the same dull and worn drill bit on every locking issue? Are you searching for a trustworthy drill bit? Check out the IRWIN, which contains the most utilized fastener sizes to effectively unlock any type of lock.
Why should you choose this one as the best drill bit for drilling out locks? First of all, it’s a 10-piece kit that comes in a variety of sizes and includes an excellent metal index case. Take a look at the bit and the aggressive design for greater power, as well as the left-hand improved gripping design, which takes them to the next level in order to drill out the lock as soon as possible. They have some other excellence, so check out the features section!
- Customers have reviewed it, and an investment in this USA tool is the best decision since you have 10 different sizes with additional gripping power. The spiral flute design made drilling the lock much easier. Another advantage is that the power source is corded electric, and the drill bits and easy outs are tough as nails and did not break under considerable stress.
- However, if you use any tough material instead of releasing bolts, the bit will break in half. Additionally, some users have reported that the cobalt drill bit did not function well, but this is a rare event, so don’t be concerned.
VSILE: Screw Extractor for Drilling Out Locks
- The screwdriver set includes a toolbox for storage.
- This is a 6-piece golden screw extractor kit (0, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4) that works with any drill and any type of screw or bolt to unlock the door.
- A damaged screw extractor can remove all standard sizes of worn, stripped, or broken screws or locks.
- Made of high-speed steel material, this tool is powerful enough to extract stripped, broken, or trapped locks or screws.
- Other than unlocking the lock, you can drill a deep hole in the screw head, then reverse the screwdriver counterclockwise into the broken screw until it’s released.
- Manufacturer: VSILE
- Material: High-speed alloy steel
- Color: Gold
- Package contains: 6 pieces of remover set
- Dimensions: 3.54 x 2.36 x 0.71 inches
- Warranty: 1 year
- Customer Review: 5 stars
Your guest room locked, or you have stubborn bolts that need to be drilled out, and you’re wondering if there are any simple drill bits for door locks or which locksmith drill bit we should use. Well, if you are searching on Google for the best drill bits, you have already arrived at the right site. the pattern that offers strong grip power.
For your circumstances, the Vsile Damaged Screw Extractor is an all-purpose, stripped screw extractor. This drill bit tool has a 5-star rating. What will you like about the product? The high-speed alloy steel, the extractor, which is fantastic for jammed doors or locks, and the screw removal capability will attract you the most.
- The first eye-catching part is that the product has a 5-star rating out of 5, so we hope you understand the customers’ satisfaction level. The material type HSAS, or high-speed alloy steel, with a golden color will make you feel like using a professional locksmith or a driller. Well, you have silver color too! However, it’s such a perfect drill bit tool for unlocking the lock’s broken screws. Plus, it comes in six pieces of different sizes.
- We didn’t find any negative ratings regarding the lock drill bit, so the gold one along with the silver one can be considered the best drill bits for drilling out locks.
NEIKO 01925A: Left-Hand Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
- A high-speed steel that has been cobalt-reinforced is used to make left-handed drill bits in order to improve durability and serviceability. You can, however, use the reverse option to remove damaged studs or bolts by rotating them left.
- The extraction bits work efficiently like a locking system to extract broken studs, bolts, or other components.
- A spiral-type flute bit digs into a screw, then grip and torque are increased.
- All the sizes have been labeled with numbers and you can organize and keep them in storage in a strong metal-type index-taking case.
- You are getting 5/64, 7/64, 5/32, 1/4, and 19/64″ left-handed or reversed drill bits, as well as Alloy Extractors #1, to #5.
- Brand: Neiko
- Material type: Cobalt
- Style: Left Hand Bit
- Finish Type: Steel
- Shank Type: Threaded
- Tool Flute Type: Spiral
- Dimensions: 5.67 x 4.49 x 0.79 inches
- Customers Review: 4.1 rating
Let’s talk about another versatile type of drill bit set that will be best drill bit for drilling locks. So, this time we are representing the NEIKO special lock drill bit set, which is one of the best drill bits for drilling out locks. Why a set of Neiko drill bits? Since the set has 10 pieces, as well as the High sped steel M2 Steel Bits, reverse option, alloy spiral flutes, along with a bolt extractor for opening the lock.
You will undoubtedly enjoy the left-handed performance and the metal carrying case’s construction. Additionally, a red color carrying case and several sizes are available. So, what’s more, a professional locksmith will expect? Nothing more than that!
- Customers absolutely love the tool because of its sturdy design, versatile functionality, secure grip, and efficient bolt extractor since it can open any lock and other fittings. These left-handed drill bits are composed of cobalt HSS, giving them added durability. The spiral flutes, metal travel case in red, and available sizes are also wonderful.
- While some users are unhappy with the drill bit, they are pleased with the extractor and claim that the kit is not excellent for cutting stainless steel. However, we are hoping that the locked door problem will be quickly fixed with this lock drill bit set.
Screw X-Tractor: Screw Extractor Set
- Screw X Tractor is a 4-bit compatible with any drill and any screw or bolt size between 3 and 12 mm. You can also use to turn the damaged screw counterclockwise until it releases.
- Even the most resistant locks and corroded or painted-over broken bolts can be removed by using a striped screw extractor.
- A suitable-sized size screw remover can be used to drill a hole with a suitable cutting size, and an extractor tool makes everything easy when you have damaged bolts or keys locked.
- For extra durability, the kit has a hardness of 63–65 HRC.
- They are also providing the 3-Tier, 100 percent Money-Back Guarantee with every stripped screw extractor.
- Brand: Screw X-Tractor
- Dimensions: 3.43 x 2.44 x 0.7 inches
- Material: Metal
- Power Source: Hand Powered
- Warranty: 3 Tier 100 percent Money Back
- Review: 3.9 stars out of 5
If you are a locksmith or a drilling worker, you will always prefer to have the best drill bits for drilling out locks or other materials like broken bolts. Now, we are suggesting our last but one top-class drill bit set, which is the Screw X-Tractor with 4 different pieces. We believe that our recommended lock drill bit products are top-rated all over the internet and are always recommended by customers and drill workers.
This drill bit kit is a true blessing for the locksmith and drill worker as it’s a 100% Matte, hassle-free, broken bolt and drilling lock extractor or drill bit. Any type of lock can be opened because it is made of sturdy, hard material. They have a three-tiered, 100% money-back guarantee in place to win the trust of the customers. So, what are you waiting for? Grab this as soon as you know about the kit.
- You’ll especially like its durability and ability to open a closed door without much difficulty. The aspect that is most admired is the higher-hardness material, which makes the work simpler and makes the kit one of the best drill bits for drilling out locks. You will only have to perform two easy steps. The lock will be removed if you drill a hole with a suitable cutting size and an ideal-size screwdriver.
- Some users struggled to remove deck screws while repairing the deck since they expected much harder steel. There are also no marks on the bit to indicate the specific size and how to select the appropriate tool according to your needs. However, it’s not a big deal. You can easily unlock the door if it’s stuck.
Factors to Pick the Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
If you are wondering what makes the best drill bit tool, we have some guidelines for you. So, if you follow the given instructions, you won’t fail to have the best drill bits for locks. Let’s have a look at the buying guidelines for you!
Construction and Materials
A 5 to 8% cobalt alloy is used to make cobalt drill bits. As we don’t want to use a drill bit that will quickly get dull over time, cobalt can be a lifesaver. Basically, every drill bit used to unlock doors is primarily made of cobalt.
We usually use cobalt to cut through any abrasive or tough material. For a drill bit to enhance its rotational speed and ensure quicker and smoother operation, it must be made of high-quality cobalt. Having a drill bit made of cobalt will make the task of unlocking a door much simpler.
Coating for Durability
Always pay attention to the coating because a high-quality coating guarantees durability, assists in surviving high heat, lessens rust, and improves durability. Therefore, you can use a coating made of titanium nitride. But why this one? It’s because it makes the surface harder and creates a thermal barrier that prevents heat buildup.
In order to improve corrosion resistance and decrease friction between the bit and the workpiece, like a locked door, you can also choose to coat the steel drill bit with black oxide. You must keep in mind that you shouldn’t cut through any metal other than softer steel with a thickness of under 1/8 inch. But titanium drill bits generally drill more quickly than black oxide drill bits, and chips pass through the flutes more easily.
Building the Angle
The higher building angle on the drilling machine will enable better management of the drilling through the lock’s tough surface. In most cases, drilling through hard surfaces is possible when you choose the tip angle. For drilling out the locks, drill bits with a wider and higher-angle tip are the ideal option.
Always check out the warranty period, as the unfortunate situation might make the drill bit wear out quickly. For example, the last product we mentioned has a warranty of three tiers with a hundred percent warranty of money back, so the customer can decide to use the tool without worrying.
Don’t forget to take a look at the customer’s review and rating since they share the real experience. Yes, this is true that some customers have rarely faced some trouble related to the drill bit we have mentioned, but overall, every single bit set is appreciable.
How to Drill out a Lock
Generally, we call a locksmith with a drill bit to open the lock or drill the door lock. But if you want to do it yourself, we have some effective and easy steps for you so that you can drill out the lock effortlessly. But make sure you have all the necessary tools, especially the high-end drill bit. Anyway, check out the given steps for a successful unlocking project by the drill bit.
Just Before Starting
Before you unlock the door with the drill bit, you should double-check for the key to unlock. Who knows, your key is in your pocket or just at the corner of your ground. Drilling will ensure unlocking, but you will definitely need to replace the entire lock system as you drill or cut.
How to Drill
Well, if you lost the key, your only option is to drill the empty lock, or if the key is stuck, you might need to detach the key first.
A Directional Hole
Make a guide or direction hole in the door lock first. It’s best to use a punch or even a bradawl between the inside and outside goings of your lock and in the direction of the pointed side of your key.
Pick Tiny Drill Bit First
Using an ⅛-inch drill bit, drill through the guide hole and into the lock. This will destroy the pins, which are usually 5, although some locks have 6.
Slow Drilling is Much Better
Drilling too quickly risks damaging the liner or other areas. Slow drilling, on the other hand, is the ultimate way to success, but make sure to apply enough pressure to unlock.
Adjust The Bit Size
Now, switch the bit size to a ¼-inch bit and drill again, making sure to go into the current hole, which will allow the broken pin to unlock the door.
Using a Flathead Screwdriver
A flathead screwdriver is extremely useful for performing any mechanical task. Put a screwdriver into the hole and rotate it in the direction you should turn the key to release the lock. If that fails, get a ¾-inch drill bit and free the lock mechanism.
Except for all these steps, remember to use safety goggles and first check whether the door lock has to be drilled or not. If the drill bit and screwdriver are ineffective, we have a center punch and hammer to solve the problem of unlocking the door with the drill bit. Go for it! You can do it!
FAQs on Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
What drill bits is used for locksmiths?
Locksmiths believe that tungsten carbide or TCT drill bits are ideal for any drill work. They chose this drill bit because it is wear-resistant and suitable for drilling carbon as well as stainless steel.
Where can I drill a lock to open?
First, drill a 1/8-inch pilot hole right above your keyhole.
Then you’ll need a 1/4-inch or larger drill to complete the project.
You should be able to get through the lock after about a minute or during the drilling time.
What kind of drill do I need to drill out a lock?
Always use a quick power tool that is well maintained in order to swiftly unlock the lock mechanism. To make a smaller hole, use an 18-inch drill bit and a 14-inch drill bit. We recommend an HSS drill with an 18-degree point angle, but if the steel is harder, a 135-degree point angle is recommended.
What tool can cut through a lock?
Bolt cutters, which are just a pair of sharp scissors, are the most basic tool for cutting key locks. You can also use an angle grinder, a propane torch, a hacksaw, a Dremel, a hammer, a cutting torch, a metal shim, lock picking, or a master key. Alternatively, contact a locksmith if you cannot unlock the door.
Now, it’s time to say goodbye to the hassle of not having the necessary knowledge on how to drill out locks and what the Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks are. We have recommended the best-picked and most user-friendly drill bits for drilling the locks, especially the door locks. The writer of this article has also discovered what you should consider while buying a drill bit for locks. Plus, we have taught you how to unlock the locked door with your preferred drill bit.
However, even after having all this information, if you have any additional queries on the best lock drill bit, feel free to ask in the comment section. We will try to give you authentic solutions and information about drill bits.